This article has compiled the list of fully funded scholarships in Canada. Canadian universities and colleges offer many scholarships to attract international students. These scholarships are designed to help you pay for your education and provide financial assistance with other costs associated with studying abroad.
The following list of fully funded scholarships in Canada will give you an idea of what is out there for international students looking for funding opportunities in Canada.
8 Fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students
We will be listing out the list of fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students.
1. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
Among the list of fully funded scholarships in Canada, the Vanier Canada Scholarship comes first. The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) is a prestigious award that recognizes and supports the top graduate students in Canada. The Vanier CGS is awarded to students who have demonstrated academic excellence and leadership potential.
2. The University of Toronto Fellowship (UTRF)
The University of Toronto Fellowship (UTRF) is on the list of fully funded scholarships in Canada that offer a fully funded scholarship for international students to study at the University of Toronto. Eligibility requirements include being a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, having completed secondary school,l and having an Ontario high school diploma or equivalent.
- To apply, you must create an account on the UTRF website before uploading your transcript from your last year(s) in high school along with other required documents and writing an essay on why you want to attend university in Canada.
- If you are accepted into this program, then they will cover tuition fees up until graduation; however, there are other costs associated with living away from home, such as room & board fees which can vary depending on where you live but typically range between $5-10K per year depending on what city it’s located in (you’ll need proof).
3. International Leader of Tomorrow Award (ILOT)
The International Leader of Tomorrow Award (ILOT) will provide up to $10,000 to support the costs of international students pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Toronto.
The ILOT program is open to all students who:
- They are from countries where English is not their primary language. They must also have completed four years of high school in their home country and be able to demonstrate financial need or exceptional academic achievement;
- Are currently enrolled in an approved full-time program leading toward completion of a bachelor’s degree at UTM
- They have been admitted into their first year as UTM undergraduate students or accepted into postgraduate studies within one year after graduating high school.
4. Mitacs Globalink Research Award
Mitacs Globalink Research Award comes in the fourth place among the list of fully funded scholarships in Canada universities that offer a fully funded scholarship for international students.
It is a one-year award, renewable for up to three years.
The application deadline is March 1st each year, and you must be enrolled in a graduate-level degree program in Canada at the time of application.
5. African Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship Program
The African Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarship Program is a scholarship for African students. It’s open to students from low and middle-income countries in Sub-Saharan Africa or other African countries.
The Canadian government created the program to support the development of young leaders from across the continent who will bring positive change to their communities and support the creation of an inclusive society for all people.
This scholarship is available for students pursuing bachelor’s degrees at postsecondary institutions in Canada; it does not cover tuition fees but instead covers living expenses while attending school full-time for up to two years (up until graduation).
6. University of Alberta International Tuition Award for Undergraduates
The University of Alberta International Tuition Award for Undergraduates is also among the list of fully funded scholarships in Canada that offers a full-tuition scholarship that can cover the cost of your studies at the University of Alberta. The amount awarded varies yearly, but it’s worth noting that this scholarship is not tied to financial need or academic performance.
The award covers tuition fees, books, and other expenses associated with your studies at the UAlberta campus in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It also includes living costs while attending classes there (such as housing and food).
7. University of Alberta International Tuition Award for Graduate Students
The University of Alberta International Tuition Award for Graduate Students is a fully funded scholarship that provides up to $25,000 per year for two years. The award is open to international students enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program and will be completed at the University of Alberta.
The application period for this scholarship begins each fall semester, with applications due by January 15th. Candidates must also have permanent resident status in Canada or be a citizen or permanent resident alien who has filed taxes in Canada on earned income during their studies at UAlberta (i.e., no less than three consecutive years). To apply: visit the International Students Office website here; complete all sections of the online form; upload transcripts; attach letters of recommendation if requested; submit an essay explaining why you would like this award (1000 words maximum).
8. Bursaries and Scholarships Available at the University of Ottawa
The University of Ottawa is one of the top universities in Canada. It offers international students a wide range of scholarships, including the Bursaries and Scholarships Available at the University of Ottawa program.
The University aims to attract and retain international students who will contribute effectively to its academic mission and enrich their experience through diversity and cultural awareness. The University has offered various types of financial assistance for international students since 2006, when it launched its first scholarship program called “Bursaries & Scholarships application deadlines:
- International students can apply for Canadian scholarships until May 15th, 2019.
- To be eligible to apply for Canadian scholarships, you must be studying at an accredited university or college in Canada and have received your degree. You also need to have been accepted into an undergraduate program with a minimum scholarship amount of CAD 2,500 (about USD 1,200) and no more than 20% tuition fee waivers available per year; these are awarded based on academic merit alone, so those who do not meet the standards above may still be considered if their grades are good enough
Questions and Answers
This is just part of the common question asked by some individuals.
- Can I get a fully funded scholarship in Canada?
- Yes, you can get a fully funded Canadian scholarship in Canada, e.g., The Vanier Canada graduate scholarship.
- Which university in Canada gives full scholarships to international students?
- There are so many universities that give international students scholarships, such as the University of Waterloo.
These are just a few of the lists of fully funded scholarships in Canada available to international students. There are many more options for financing your education in Canada, so be sure to check out our page on scholarships for more information.